Friday, September 19, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Anyone who truly knows me, can tell you that I don't like trying new things - especially when it comes to cooking/baking. I fear the waste of time and money if the result is bad.

HOWEVER...

Earlier this week, I wanted to bake some pumpkin spice cookies for Josh's co-worker. I had made some of Betty Crocker's Pumpkin Spice cookie mix last fall for his office. They really enjoyed them.  But one person in particular, Fawn - BEST massage therapist in the world, REALLY REALLY enjoyed them!  I knew her birthday was mid-September, so I wanted to do something special for her and bake these cookies again.  However, no one had the pumpkin spice cookie mix yet :(  I was determined nonetheless. I found a recipe on Pinterest that looked simple and tasty. I only needed a two ingredients, that I didn't already have in the house.

Tuesday evening, the experiment began, five dozen cookies were baked.

Wednesday, the verdict was in... She loved them (and so did everyone else in the office). So much so, we kept sending more back to work each day this week. Before she could get a chance to take any home, she was raving about the cookies and sharing with all the patients!  HA HA

I guess I better keep this recipe!  Sharing it also, in case anyone else wants to try it!




Pumpkin Spice Cookies:
  1. Mix 1 cup butter, 1/2 can pumpkin puree, 1 cup sugar, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 2 eggs until smooth.
  2. In a separate bowl mix 4 cups flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 tsp. pumpkin spice.
  3. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
  4. Ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
  5. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheet (or use parchment paper)
  6. 1" balls will make 5 dozen cookies. Squish flat with jar and bake 10-14 minutes until it starts looking dry. (I found it worked best to cook the balls for about 5 minutes and pull them out of the oven, grease a jar and squish the cookies, and place them back in the oven for remaining time).
  7. Allow cookies to cool completely and top with cream cheese frosting (If you are an overachiever, you can make it from scratch, but store bought is fast and tasty too)!

No comments:

Post a Comment